New Home!

Come see us at our new home: www.notdoneyetblog.com

Friday, July 27, 2012

Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!

OMG!! I discovered something new and terrible this week. Apparently a regular exercise program can be hazardous to my health!


Who knew how much danger I was putting myself in?? My tricky back (an issue which I have dealt with for years) went out from riding in a Jaguar for 14 hours on vacation. But apparently it’s my increased activity level has put my very life and livelihood at risk!

Why oh why didn’t someone tell me how dangerous increasing activity could be?? Look at what can happen to a person who exercises regularly:
  1. Steady and consistent weight loss. Total of 62 pounds to date.
  2. Sleeping Better. I sleep through the night now and am no longer required to use my CPAP
  3. Increased libido. Just trust me on this one.
  4. Improved blood pressure. My doctor took me off my blood pressure medication
  5. Increased cardiovascular endurance. I currently jog up to 4 miles in around 45 minutes
  6. Increased focus and creativity. I find that after a good workout I am at my most creative and have laser focus on my projects.
  7. Improved self esteem. When you feel good you look good. Not the other way around.
  8. Improved appetite for healthier foods. After an early morning run a banana taste much better than a cheese Danish and doesn’t undo your hard work.
  9. Increased energy. I’m able to go, go, go from dawn until bedtime without feeling that 3PM crash or lethargy in the evening.
  10. Decrease in low-back pain. Losing 1 pound of weight takes the equivalent of 5 pounds of pressure off your spine. For those counting, that means I’ve lessened the load on my back by 300 pounds so far.
Okay, in full disclosure, there may be some truth to the “overdoing it” concern. Most of my friends and coworkers know I like to push myself a little further in my fitness goals from time to time. That said, I’ve been dealing with the back issue for many years now, and it’s interesting how much faster it’s improving and healing this time over the last time this occurred.
I assure you, I do not mean to make light of the fact that activity can inadvertently lead to injury. Safety is important, and even when we take precautions, injuries can happen.
I’m still going preach all the positive reasons to start (and stick with) a regular exercise routine. Trust me when I say -- eventually -- you will realize you feel so much better with regular activity that you might even miss it when you can’t be active for whatever reasons.
Best advice? Start slow and grow as you go.
I am taking it easy for a few weeks in hopes of being strong enough to participate in a charity biking event in a couple of weeks. This set back may have slowed me down a little, but I’m not stopping my active lifestyle forever because I refuse to give up on me. 
As always, I am not done yet!!
~Dexter

UPDATE:

Just saw my doctor yesterday, and received great news:
(1) My activity/ exercise schedule did NOT cause my back to go out; and
(2) I have been released for light exercise.
Can I get a woohoo?

No comments:

Post a Comment